Critical Thinking With Michael of Elmet - a podcast in two parts

Started by M O'D, February 17, 2012, 03:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M O'D

Ranging over a variety of subjects, michael takes the listener on an introduction to the Trivium (Grammar, Rhetoric, Logic) with an insightful overview of some of the issues he's been involved in over the last three years... including judges, law, rights and logical fallacies...

the perfect antidote to the miseducation we have all suffered to varying degrees... peace up and a big thank you to Adam the host
http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=91995&cmd=tc

namaste
:)

All Rights Reserved - Without Prejudice
Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
Errors & Omissions Excepted

tayga

I really enjoyed this. I can recognise many of the thoughts and personal epiphanies that you mentioned. Although at 52 years of age, with 2 degrees to my name, I've only heard of the trivium in the past 2 months. Amazing, isn't it?

When is the second part due to be aired?

Incidentally, the 'unexamined life' quote is attributed to Socrates: "The unexamined life is not worth living".

M O'D

thank you tayga... it is amazing to think that all this was hidden from us via the public fooling system.. right through the degree game and beyond... part 2 should be out soon.. . I'll post it as soon as ...

namaste

M O'D

Salutations I and I,

the second part is now on line here:

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=91995&cmd=tc

Thank you to Adam, the host  ;)

namaste

I and I

tayga

Another great talk, Michael. Thank you.

I'm interested in your comment and Skype signature regarding the Trivium and psychedelics showing you how to think as it ties into some research I've been doing.

People like Ekhart Tolle, Ken Wilber and the whole succession of mystics talk about the Here and Now and the nature of Being. It's clear that Mind, rather than being a tool, has become a bit of a nuisance. The source of all suffering, in fact.

I had a huge insight into this when I saw neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor talking about her experience of a stroke which shut down what she calls her left brain, the logical-temporal side, leaving her in the right, ecstatic, here and now side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU

Her experience reminded me of a friend's description of using Salvia divinorum. It suddenly struck me that this is probably how psychedelics and other 'mind-altering' drugs are linked with different, higher states of consciousness or awareness.

Whatever the relationship between the neuroanatomists' left/right brain concepts and the philsophers' mind/being, it is clear that these chemicals quiet the Mind and leave us alone with our Being and knowing to a greater or lesser extent. This is a short cut route to purer thought devoid of mental, illogical, ego chatter.

TED Talks are usually dry and very scientific. Appropriately, Jill Bolte Taylor's talk is extremely touching, moving and spiritual. For my part, I'll be cultivating Salvia divinorum!