Author Topic: What's so special about the Magna Carta?  (Read 1068 times)

Agven

What's so special about the Magna Carta?
« on: March 16, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
What's so special about the Magna Carta?  It's just the opinions of a group of powerful men to curb the activities of another powerful man.  They are all long dead.  Why is it more relevant than laws passed by people living today who were elected by people living today to make laws for them?

I think we need to answer this and to prove that the Magna Carta is more important than modern laws.  I don't see how that can be proved, though.  I've read that Parliament has no right to pass any legislation to supersede MC because MC was agreed to by the barons, the freemen and Johnny Boy.  But what about the serfs and women?  Did every freeman of the land agree to it?  Even if they did, why should we be bound by what they decided?  I didn't agree to the Magna Carta, nor to any laws made before I was born or old enough to vote.  Nor, for that matter, have I ever given my consent to any law at any time - as far as I can recall (unless proposed legislation was in the manifesto of some party I voted for and they won the election on that manifesto).

I wouldn't feel comfortable using MC as I don't think it has any special relevance and couldn't prove that it does.  I would prefer to hold legislators and heads of state to account over the oaths they made to get into office.  Those oaths are in black and white and if they break them, they are breaking a contract.  A broken contract is null and void.  They have to live up to their oaths and we can point the finger at them if they don't.  Little need to study ancient laws or modern ones.  Just watch these people like hawks and jump on them if they break their oaths.

Or am I missing something?  And don't suggest I'm missing some marbles.  ;D